If you are not familiar with printing your own inserts follow the instructions below, step by step. These instructions are detailed for printing your downloads with OpenOffice, if using a different program the screens and location of print options may vary. If you are in need of help or troubleshooting feel free to contact me, I'll try to get back to you as quickly as I can. See the Digital Downloads page for printing requirements and policies before ordering please.
- Before printing you'll need to download OpenOffice and have or cut your paper to the size of your inserts. Also, please follow the steps in order if you are unfamiliar with printing your own inserts.
1) After purchasing inserts you will receive an email with links to download the files. If you make an account these will also be saved in your order history for easy access from any device. Follow the links, download the files, and make sure to save them to a place where you can easily find them later. (It IS possible to print these files directly from DropBox)
2) Open the files using OpenOffice Writer, if you have downloaded Open Office the files should automatically open in this portion of the program.
3) Once in the file, take note of the page number range you want to print.
4) Next you'll click the "file" tab in the top left of the window and scroll down to print (or quick keys are ctrl-p). The print set-up screen will pop up.
5) Input the page range you want to print in the "page range" field.
6) Next you'll need to input your page dimensions if your printer isn't set up to automatically detect page size. (Remember, these files are designed to be printed on cut-to-size pages.) Click the "properties" button in the center of the print window.
7) Click the "Printer Paper Size" drop down menu and select your page size if available. If your page size is not listed (it probably won't be) click "custom" and input the corresponding measurements of your inserts. You can find page size measurements listed below.
8) After inputting your custom page dimensions click "ok"
9) Next you'll want to make sure you're printing the correct sides first. (When printing double sided inserts it's easiest to print all the front or back pages first and then the reverse sides.) Click the "Page Layout" tab on the top of the print widow. There will be a "page sides" field, choose the side that will have you start with the FIRST page in your selected page range. This may not always be the "left/front" or "right/back" page side, use the preview widow to check that you're printing the first printable page first (not a blank page if the file begins with one and not the second printable page in your selection). Note: see alternate steps when printing second side.
You'll also want to make sure that you have the "pages per sheet" option selected and that the drop downs read "1" with the "order" being "left to right then down". (See screenshot above)
10) Now you're ready to print the fist side of your inserts! Click "print"!
1) First you will want to determine if the first page in the inserts you just printed out is a double sided or single sided page (calendars, for example, will start with a single sided page). If it IS a single sided page, meaning there is nothing to print on the reverse side, set that page aside. If it is a double sided page leave it on top of the pile. Insert the stack into your printer to print the second side, do NOT reorder them.
2) Next you will go through steps 1-8 from above again, when you get to step nine skip down and follow the steps below. Be sure to follow the steps in order or the page preview may not help when you're instructed to observe it:
Page side 2, alternate steps:
9) You will want to select the opposite "page side" from the menu under the "Page Layout" tab, making sure that the SECOND page in your chosen page range is visable in the preview. Again, for some inserts this will be the "back/left pages" and for others it will be the "front/right pages", it just depends on which side the SECOND page of your chosen page range is on.
10) The other thing you'll do different is to check the "print in reverse page order" option under the "general" tab in the print window, wait to do this untill the last step just before you hit print because the preview window could confuse you otherwise when following the instructions written here. After checking the box, click print.
11) After printing the second side (retrieve the first page if it was left out) you may need to reorder your pages so that they are in the correct order (front to back instead of back to front), this will only need to be done if the inserts begin on a right hand page.
- To reorder backwards inserts hold the freshly printed out pile in your hands, take the first page from the top and start another pile (keeping the same side up) take the next page from the pile and place it on top of the first, (keeping the same side up again) continue like this through the entire stack, when your finished your inserts should be in the correct page order.
Should you need any help while printing please feel free to contact me at Theagendashop@gmail.com or via the "contact" page here in the shop, I'll try to get back to you as quickly as possible.